5.28.2009

Cruisin' down High, Long Lake, and through the country

We've all had the experience of listening to a particular song or album and being transported back in time to a specific moment. For this reason it's hard for me to listen to a lot of Ryan Adams, Radiohead, anything emo, Iron and Wine, or Death Cab. All for different reasons.

Anyway, I was at the Yeah Yeah Yeah's concert last night and was reminded of my many friends all over the globe who I've shared some intense times with...good and bad. It's almost as if I was transplanted to driving down High St. with Kat or smoking a joint with Abbey on her deck. Or having a power hour with Laura in her dirty-ass Ukrainian apartment whilst eating red beans and rice.

The power of music is really amazing. Often while driving and listening to the radio, "Hey Jude" will come on the radio and I can't help but cry. I remember one particular day, maybe 8 years ago, driving into the setting sun on Long Lake and hearing that song and having to pull over because of the flood of tears. It reminds me of my dad...every time.

Iron and Wine will eternally remind me of train travel. It was my default train music in Ukraine and did I ride those trains. Weekly. I can always picture the flat Ukrainian countryside whizzing (generously speaking) past me and catching glimpses of a foreign people's life. Wooden carts stacked so high with hay. The fields set afire at the end of harvest. It reminds me of the unbearable heat and cold I experienced and the random/weird conversations I got myself into. The dirty glances, the toothless smiles (though rare-the smile part, not the toothless). Sometimes I put these albums on just for this reason...to go back. Nostalgia.

I actually started writing this about friends and the difficulty it is to meet good quality people. I've gone out now with some internet people- I know, I know. Lame, but I'm not sure how else to go about meeting people now. I can't say I've had any horrible experiences, but it really just makes me miss my friends more. So many of these people are just not interesting. They have nothing to say. They don't "do" anything. Yeah, they work- and that's it. That's not how I live or want to live. I enjoy going out and experiencing different things. I enjoy being pushed to the limit of my comfort zone (I'm meeting people online, aren't I?). Maybe these people are just so hard up for a date or love that they try too hard. I don't know. I'm not looking for anything now except some good friends. Is that too much to ask? I want some cool ass, smart, fun, intelligent friends. I know it takes time, but shit. I just want some porch friends. Does that make sense to you? (you know who you are)

I want friends that make me feel the way "1979" makes you feel. I want friends to create good and bad music memories with. I want friends that will put a song on the juke box just for me and then glance across the bar to shoot you that "yeyah, you know what I'm talking about" look. 

No comments: